General Discussion

Moderators: braycobb, JohnMeyer, tb_tyler

psgolfer

Re: General Discussion

Postby psgolfer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 10:35 pm

IAN.HOGGARD wrote:Wow, my 59 seems to have stirred up a hornet's nest !!

Psgolfer seems to be suggesting that I'm cheating with my club distances. My driver on average goes 245/250 yds on Optishot.
I was at the range last week & was hitting about 210 yds. It was cold, damp & breezy & range balls are rubbish. In the summer when it's warm & sunny & the fairways are firmer I average about 250. My irons are set to 6 iron 150 yds , Pitching wedge 105 yds. which is real for me.

I apologise if as a one-off I scored better than I should. Didn't mean to upset anybody ! :mrgreen:

STOP, STOP STOP........Zmax, maybe just delete this, people are way off course here. Ian, chill out, I am not referring to you for juicing yardages. It had nothing to do with your 59. WOW. I'm saying that opti is one step up from PS4 using real clubs (and either foam or real balls), whichever your preference. That's it. Please stop reading into stuff that I'm not saying.
GC2 PDT

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:09 pm

braycobb wrote:
psgolfer wrote:Thanks for the input Hogan, I'm saying I disagree with scores, but I watch the TGC leaderboard and with your handicaps the scores are realistic, nobody's shooting 63. My thoughts with the GC2 and SkyTrak is that there is no way to juice it, you hit it the way you hit it. With HD Golf and About Golf, the settings can be juiced. I just want to play on a level playing field, this sport is supposed to be about integrity and honesty. I feel that these core principles are lacking in the Optishot Tour. Just my opinion, could be wrong, could be right, there's nothing that can be done unless we all have the same settings and that will never happen when you can manually input how far you hit a LW to Driver.

I'm fairly confident the Optishot does not use the manually entered distance for shot calculation. That number is used to pre-select your club when you are at a given distance. After you mentioned that earlier, I played with the numbers. No matter what I entered it didn't affect my distances. They were the same regardless. The juicing comes with the % change for Speed and Distance.

Actually, the way optishot calculates is based on what you enter for you yardages on your clubs. Not just for selecting a club. I don't know and don't care to know the algorithm and how it calculates, but the factors it uses are club head speed (read by the opti sensors) and the yardage you enter for how far you hit your club.

So for example, if I say hit my driver 260, I would enter 260 for my driver distance. At a regular swing speed of 100mph it will go 260 yards. Now, if I put in 300 yards as my driver distance and swing 100mph, guess what.....it'll go 300 yards.

Braycobb, I've tested too and I come up with the opposite of what your saying. If I'm wrong, maybe my opti is defective? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that opti calculates your distances based on swing speed and the yardage you input for your distances.
GC2 PDT

Willymakit

Postby Willymakit » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:55 pm

psgolfer wrote:
braycobb wrote:
psgolfer wrote:Thanks for the input Hogan, I'm saying I disagree with scores, but I watch the TGC leaderboard and with your handicaps the scores are realistic, nobody's shooting 63. My thoughts with the GC2 and SkyTrak is that there is no way to juice it, you hit it the way you hit it. With HD Golf and About Golf, the settings can be juiced. I just want to play on a level playing field, this sport is supposed to be about integrity and honesty. I feel that these core principles are lacking in the Optishot Tour. Just my opinion, could be wrong, could be right, there's nothing that can be done unless we all have the same settings and that will never happen when you can manually input how far you hit a LW to Driver.

I'm fairly confident the Optishot does not use the manually entered distance for shot calculation. That number is used to pre-select your club when you are at a given distance. After you mentioned that earlier, I played with the numbers. No matter what I entered it didn't affect my distances. They were the same regardless. The juicing comes with the % change for Speed and Distance.

Actually, the way optishot calculates is based on what you enter for you yardages on your clubs. Not just for selecting a club. I don't know and don't care to know the algorithm and how it calculates, but the factors it uses are club head speed (read by the opti sensors) and the yardage you enter for how far you hit your club.

So for example, if I say hit my driver 260, I would enter 260 for my driver distance. At a regular swing speed of 100mph it will go 260 yards. Now, if I put in 300 yards as my driver distance and swing 100mph, guess what.....it'll go 300 yards.

Braycobb, I've tested too and I come up with the opposite of what your saying. If I'm wrong, maybe my opti is defective? I don't know. But I'm pretty sure that opti calculates your distances based on swing speed and the yardage you input for your distances.

So I just finished testing on your theory because I thought maybe you were on to something and this is what I found.

Used driver and set it at 100 yards and hit 5 balls. Was avg of 115 mh with 286 average drives. Then I changed it to 400 yards and hit 5 balls. Avg 113 with 280. Set back to 300 and hit 5 balls. 115 with 286.

Then used 7 iron. Set at 100 and hit 5 balls. Avg was 165. Set at 200 and hit 5 balls and avg was 168. Set at 300 and hit 5 balls and avg was 168. Set back to 170 and hit 5 balls and avg 171. Im thinking by the higher average I was warmed up

If you click on the question mark beside that number it says"used by auto caddie to select a club for you based on distance left to the hole".

So I'm going to say by changing that number has nothing to do with how far you can hit it. It's just a number you enter then when on course and your 170 yards out it would select the 7 iron.
GC2

MST

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:31 am

Well, I'll be.......... When I play tomorrow, I'll mess around on the range too. If that's the case, then I'm shocked. I always figured that the yardage you input for your club is used in the calculation.
GC2 PDT

braycobb

Postby braycobb » Sun Apr 05, 2015 12:28 am

Jason's experience echos mine regarding the input of Distance. While none of us probably know for sure the algorithms used by Optishot, it is logical to assume they use the lofts we enter and clubhead speed based on the readings from the sensors.

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:15 am

My apologies to Braycobb and Willy.

Before my round today I played around with yardages and hit balls and you guys are 100% correct. There was no difference in the distance based on my club head speed.
GC2 PDT

Willymakit

Postby Willymakit » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:52 pm

psgolfer wrote:My apologies to Braycobb and Willy.

Before my round today I played around with yardages and hit balls and you guys are 100% correct. There was no difference in the distance based on my club head speed.

Okay I don't want to beat this topic to death but just one more question.lol

What made you think by entering your yardage that it would go that far. Did you test it out before and what you entered did go that far?
GC2

MST

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:32 pm

The horse is dead and sent to the graveyard......LOL!!!

Honestly, I never tested the theory, thought it used the numbers inputted for yardage as part of the algorithm.
GC2 PDT

markd4

Postby markd4 » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:46 pm

New Optishot owner here, just getting it set-up.

Curious if there is a link anyone could provide to all the tips and tricks to getting this thing dialed in?

Also, does everyone use a tee on every shot? Or can you hit right off the mat on top of the unit?

Looking to get this thing rolling since the season is coming to an end. I bought it so I can play all winter in my basement, and not have to "relearn" my swing come spring. Played more real golf this summer than ever, and improved more than any other season as well. Want to keep that momentum going....

Thanks in advance to anyone who cares to help!

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Sun Nov 01, 2015 4:40 am

Mark,

There is no need to hit off a tee for every shot, just hit straight of the mat. I would recommend getting a turf top though, al lot of us use the jagmanjoe ones. Only $40 ish and will save both the unit and your wrists :) especially if your a take a divot kind of player.

You have 2 options

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOFT-SHELL-TU ... DGuMqcR4jQ

I use the premier, as found it a but firmer, but others prefer the monster as below

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SOFT-SHELL-TU ... SwGvhUDPTZ

Both are great items and Id say a must have item for using optishot

Be aware they will raise the height of the optishot unit as they are prob 1.5" thicker than the original turf, so if your using a stance platform/mat youll have to raise the height of the stance mat in order to make it level with your now thicker sensor pad

Most people use those foam tiles/jigsaw pieces.

Lighting is also very very important. make sure you only use CFL bulbs, no incandescent light. Also a lot of people found more success having a cfl lamp shining diretly over the sensor pad, to reduce shadows etc.

I use something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lloytron-L1506B ... +desk+lamp

and then just have it angled so it shines preyty much over the sensor pad.. bit of trial and error. Alternatively if youve got a ceiling light directly over the unit just fit a cfl bulb in it and your good to go.

Im not sure if your using a projector or net etc, but I find that having no lights on, with just the projector and the lamp on pad gives a more immersive experience but again al personal preference

In terms of dialling in, its a definite good idea ( a necessity really on your woods) that you tape your clubs.

The idea is to put a strip of highly reflective tape on the bottom of the club, along the face edge, and in the case of woods, some non reflective covering the rest

I use this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00CI6EE7E/r ... VH9ASMMX8T

I currently only have the reflective tape on ( havent got round to re doing the non reflective stuff) and get very few misreads. Its advisable to apply to all woods, irons and putter if you want to get the most accuracy out of your system as you can

Once your all taped up and got your turf top then is the time to dial in your clubset.

Obviously there are restrictions on certain clubs that have to apply if you play on Tour.

These can be found here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3

basically depending on what ball type and if using a thick turf driver must be set as per those guidelines. It should roughly give you real life distances. We tested A LOT of drives and that was the best compromise we could come up with, an so this is a fixed setting.

Irons however can be set to whatever to make them true to your real life distances. be aware the thicker turf top will probably result in you not hitting the ball as far as you did with the standard turf top. This is due to the increased gap between your club head and the sensors as you swing and depends on how steep your swing is, your lighting etc etc

Because of this everyone will prob have different settings so just get on the driving range in the software and hit each club, adjusting the distance % up and down until you get it so it averages your real life distance..

With the thick top I found irons hand to be set anywhere between 105% and 120% to get them the distances i hit in real life.

Once youve done that youll have a relatively accurate, pretty true to life setup and for the money, in my opinion a fantastic golf setup.

There is lots of info about setup and stuff on our old forums, we moved here end of last year to be part of the scoring site setup, but if your looking for all the info about how we came to work out the settings etc etc is all on the old forums at

http://golfsimulatorforum.com/forum/optishot

We dont use them any more but the info on there is still useful, but be aware all optishot tour, and most of the players all find their way here now.

Im sure thats given you plenty to go on, if you need any more info or help then just post and Im sure someone on here will also chime in with their input. getting it all setup can be a bit of a pain, but its definitely worth it to get the most out of the system.

(Youll notice im in the UK so those links are all for here, apart from joes tops as I had to import mine, im sure youll find the US/your location equivalents)

Cheers

John
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

Return to “Optishot Simulator”