Foot button bar

Moderators: JohnMeyer, tb_tyler, braycobb

Maxxx

Foot button bar

Postby Maxxx » Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:40 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3NxQ60E72k&t=111

Hey guys, check this really cool foot button bar that this guy made ! It doesn't look that hard to do !

First let me introduce myself as I am a first-time poster. My name is Dave and I am a golf addict. I have only been playing since may of 2014 but The game has overtaken all of my free time since the first time I played. Why I waited so long in life to try it is beyond me.

Anyways the reason for my post. I bought an Optishot so I could golf in my garage while the weather was bad and give me the ability to work on my game. It has been a great purchase and has helped my game a lot so far. After using the optishot for a few games it became apparent it was not all it could be. I have slowly been upgrading my garage sim as I go adding a projector and such, I still need a nice impact screen and that's my next order of business. I did however find it took something away from the whole experience using the optishot and having to use the computer keyboard to swap clubs and aim when needed, so I came up with a solution. I have a lot of diy background and have actually taken a keyboard apart before to make a foot pedal for online gaming so it seemed like the perfect fit for my optishot.

What I did was took the controller board out of an old working usb keyboard. I tracked down the contacts on the board for the keys I needed for the optishot. I used the default hotkeys for optishot and made buttons for aim left and right, change clubs up and down, m for mulligan, and s for score. I could have added more buttons for shot trajectory in hindsight but I honestly don't mess with that much at all at this point. After I tracked down where the leads wear I made a housing out of aluminum at work, I work in a glass and metal shot and have access to some milling equipment. This could be done with wood or plastic also for anyone interested in making their own. I ordered some arcade game buttons from amazon for 16$ for 6 buttons and used them to activate the different hotkeys. I put this all into a nice package and used some sticker lettering on the outside of my case. I then put an entire can of clearcoat over the sticker letters to protect them, it was about 9 coats and it looks really nice and the letters are completely embedded under the paint. Here are some photos of the finished project. I will also post a link to a youtube video giving you some insight to how to take apart the usb keyboard and find the leads you need for the buttons.

Hey guys, check this really cool foot button bar that this guy made ! It doesn't look that hard to do !

optishot keyboard.jpg
optishot keyboard.jpg (64.45 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

optishot keyboard2.jpg
optishot keyboard2.jpg (72.51 KiB) Viewed 1029 times

optishot keyboard3.jpg
optishot keyboard3.jpg (48.76 KiB) Viewed 1027 times

Zmax

Re: Foot button bar

Postby Zmax » Thu Mar 12, 2015 10:50 pm

Hey Maxxx, I think you posted the wrong video. That video was for a foot pedal and not the foot bar.

Edit: Nevermind. Foot pedal came at the end.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:
I5 6600k-16 GB-GTX670-Ultra High-Tree 2.05,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1171-Dynamic Skys ON

Sim pc:
I7 4790k-16 GB-GTX1060SC-Ultra High-Tree max,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1200-Dynamic Skys ON

Maxxx

Postby Maxxx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 9:41 am

Hey zmax, the video is just how to open the keyboard and find the keys you need for a button or a pedal. Here's a pic of the bar.

It was too big again.I'm using my smart phone so I can't use paint ?

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Fri Mar 13, 2015 1:54 pm

Maxx, I found those pictures and uploaded them for you in the first post. The files were only 70 kb. Not sure why you got that error message.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:
I5 6600k-16 GB-GTX670-Ultra High-Tree 2.05,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1171-Dynamic Skys ON

Sim pc:
I7 4790k-16 GB-GTX1060SC-Ultra High-Tree max,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1200-Dynamic Skys ON

Maxxx

Postby Maxxx » Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:04 pm

Thanks buddy looks like a cool gadget for any sim without a touchscreen.
Cheers

Return to “Optishot Simulator”