Optishot 2... accuracy.

Moderators: JohnMeyer, tb_tyler, braycobb

ntonima

Optishot 2... accuracy.

Postby ntonima » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:34 am

Hi all.
Just few question.
I know that Optishot is ... a "game", a toy to play with.
Fun to play with friends, not expansive like cg2/protee/skytrak but absolutely not accurate like these ones.

But im just courios to know "how much inaccurate".
I know it do not read "Thin or fat shot".
But what about others shot?
Anyone compared carry distances with one of the "top" simulator?
How much differents?

Ty in advance.

JohnMeyer

Re: Optishot 2... accuracy.

Postby JohnMeyer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:34 am

First the good news, the carry distances can be made incredibly accurate, as you can adjust the club set settings to match your real life distances exactly.

On the Optishot Tour, we carried out extensive testing to get some exact settings that must be used for the driver, and they too are very good. I recent went from Optishot to a GC2, and my carry numbers for my driver are very close to the numbers I was getting on Optishot using the tour required club set settings.

In terms of other accuracy, ie, shot shape, this is not as good, but then it wouldnt be, but it is definitely acceptable. They key to getting the most from the system is firstly, get an aftermarket turf top (ie a jagman joe top) This instantly allows you to hit the ball properly, no more damaged wrists, or damaged sensor pads.

Secondly make sure you eliminate as much or the natural light from your room as possible, ideally all of it, and then get lighting that is non IR, those CFL bulbs are the best. If you can position these as spot lights to shine directly overhead of the sensor sections on the sensor pad, this will eliminate any shadows too which again helps accuracy.

Finally, and most importantly, to get the absolute most, its best to just put a strip of reflective white or shiny tape along the bottom of all clubs, parallel with with face. This allows the sensor to read the face angle much better. Once youve done this calibrate the clubs with the built in calibration tool and you find its pretty good.

The only negative I ever found witht the system was id does suffer with the occasional misread with some crazy results.. 350 yards drives, monster hooks etc, but if youve done all the above these are very infrequent.

For the money, again once youve done the above, its actually probably the best value for money piece of golf equipment you can get. The software is excellent, has lots of feature and plenty of courses. Online multiplayer is also great fun.

As you say, is it as good as my new GC2, absolutely not, but for the money I loved mine, and would whole hearted recommend it to anyone.
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

braycobb

Postby braycobb » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:59 am

Not much I can add to what John wrote and I agree with it all.

The Optishot can be tweaked to match your actual game. There will always be some inaccuracies, but for the money you really can't beat it.

ntonima

Postby ntonima » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:21 pm

Thank you for the answers.

I will got it in some days ( 2 or 3 says amazon) so im happy to hear that.
I'm not really interested on "shot shape" or the perfect simulation.
I need something that - at first - let me have fun during winter or/and the time i cannot go to the golfclub.
But if it's just a bit accurate... it's better
(i can assume there could be 10/15 or 20 yards of differences as average?)

I'm thinking to order a top surface as suggested.
But I'm European... can i find a good site to buy from here in Europe or i've to order 1 from jagmanjo from ebay (and then shipped from Usa)?

braycobb

Postby braycobb » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:08 pm

ntonima wrote:Thank you for the answers.

I will got it in some days ( 2 or 3 says amazon) so im happy to hear that.
I'm not really interested on "shot shape" or the perfect simulation.
I need something that - at first - let me have fun during winter or/and the time i cannot go to the golfclub.
But if it's just a bit accurate... it's better
(i can assume there could be 10/15 or 20 yards of differences as average?)

I'm thinking to order a top surface as suggested.
But I'm European... can i find a good site to buy from here in Europe or i've to order 1 from jagmanjo from ebay (and then shipped from Usa)?

If you use the tweaking capabilities and set the system up appropriately, you won't see 10/15/20 yards difference. With my tweaked settings, most of the time I am within 5 yds of my actual distance on all clubs.

Hopefully John or one of the other European players can chime in regarding the best way to get the aftermarket turf. Like John, I have one from jagman joe. It definitely helps.

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 1:51 pm

Whereabouts are you in Europe?
UK - EST+5

ntonima

Postby ntonima » Sun Jan 10, 2016 2:32 pm

JohnMeyer wrote:Whereabouts are you in Europe?

I'm in Italy.
I guess buy from Uk, Germany should be better. If there aren't i will buy it from ebay and hope it will arrive :D

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:27 pm

Yeah i got mine from the US via eBay

I was just looking if I had a a spare one laying around. I would've sent you mine but I modified it a little to fit my stance platform, so you may be best to get new as its a bit battered.
UK - EST+5

ntonima

Postby ntonima » Mon Jan 11, 2016 1:29 pm

JohnMeyer wrote:Yeah i got mine from the US via eBay

I was just looking if I had a a spare one laying around. I would've sent you mine but I modified it a little to fit my stance platform, so you may be best to get new as its a bit battered.

Hmm what the difference btw the "original" turf and jagmanjoe turf?
Is it a better protection for the "Optishot" sensor/pad or it's just for feeling and accuracy?

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 2:57 pm

The difference is massive.

The standard optiturf is approx 2mm thick, the jagmanjoe is 35mm i think. It covers the whole sensor pad and allows you to actually hit down on the ball and compress it.

Without it you will end up hitting shots thin to avoid hitting down on the ball and damaging your wrists, and also the unit.

By all means try it without one, but i think I paid $40 plus shipping to get min from Joe in USA, and it was money well spent. Joe turf also take as a normal tee too so can tee the ball anywhere on the turf, so can avoid having to tee it so close to the back sensors if your a player who occasionally hits the ball fat.
UK - EST+5

ntonima

Postby ntonima » Mon Jan 11, 2016 3:55 pm

Ok so it's a "Must"

And i will buy it from ebay. Im not used to buy things from ebay. I dont like it at all.

Last question on that ( i do not want to bother u):
Are the shippin "trackable" in same way?
I'm just not sure to receive it :|
Postal office here are really bad... :roll:

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Mon Jan 11, 2016 4:13 pm

If you dont like eBay, can buy it directly from jagmanjoe, his website is

http://www.slickthings.com/Site/Welcome.html

If you message him he'll sort you out, great guy and hes fully familiar with the Optishot Tour.
UK - EST+5

ntonima

Postby ntonima » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:48 pm

Optishot arrived today.
I edit the clubs to face my Rocketballz.
Didnt tape them, and didnt touch the distances.

I've to admit that the sim matches +/- my real distances.
So i guess i will not tape the irons at all.
I hit from the tee cause i m afraid of broke the sensor.
I think tomorrow i will buy turf from ebay to get better feeling.

Putter costantly missread (+10 to -10 faceangle), so i guess i must tape it.
Some time also 8 iron. Not always but sometimes happens.
I think i will tape my woods also.
Good on overall distances, not as well as the faceangle reading (50% of thje shot i got a missread).

For now very happy of it :D

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Thu Jan 14, 2016 4:51 am

Woods and putter I found require taping 100%, and I would still consider taping your irons, as you will find one day you'll get a misread that'll make you wish you had :)

Glad your enjoying it and hope to see you on Tour soon
UK - EST+5

8908roja

Postby 8908roja » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:05 am

JohnMeyer wrote:Woods and putter I found require taping 100%, and I would still consider taping your irons, as you will find one day you'll get a misread that'll make you wish you had :)

Glad your enjoying it and hope to see you on Tour soon

About taping all irons, i have not used any tape on my clubs, only the putter. helped big time..

Some time i can hit my 6 iron over 200m... normally ~170 +- . can it have something to do with the misreading? or does that only affect accuracy?
Ping G30 - Driver Tour stiff 80
Ping G30 - 3-wood Tour stiff 80
Ping Rapture D.I 2
Mizuno Hybrid 3 Stiff
Ping S55 4-W Tour 120
Ping Scottsdale TR
Mizuno 52,54,58

braycobb

Postby braycobb » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:22 am

8908roja wrote:...Some time i can hit my 6 iron over 200m... normally ~170 +- . can it have something to do with the misreading? or does that only affect accuracy?

Could it? Maybe. Remember, the ir sensors are reading reflections from the club. It is possible, the first row of sensors sees the reflection from the leading edge of the club, while the second row sees the reflection from the back edge of the club....or vice versa. Anything you can do to enhance the ir reflections (e.g., tape) will provide better reading in both accuracy and speed.

Another source of "misreads" is due to how you swing....Whether you are a digger or picker. Those will change both the speed and accuracy of how the sensors read the clubs. In real life, the ball is gone and the impacts are minimal.

8908roja

Postby 8908roja » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:53 am

braycobb wrote:
8908roja wrote:...Some time i can hit my 6 iron over 200m... normally ~170 +- . can it have something to do with the misreading? or does that only affect accuracy?

Could it? Maybe. Remember, the ir sensors are reading reflections from the club. It is possible, the first row of sensors sees the reflection from the leading edge of the club, while the second row sees the reflection from the back edge of the club....or vice versa. Anything you can do to enhance the ir reflections (e.g., tape) will provide better reading in both accuracy and speed.

Another source of "misreads" is due to how you swing....Whether you are a digger or picker. Those will change both the speed and accuracy of how the sensors read the clubs. In real life, the ball is gone and the impacts are minimal.

Thank you!
Ping G30 - Driver Tour stiff 80
Ping G30 - 3-wood Tour stiff 80
Ping Rapture D.I 2
Mizuno Hybrid 3 Stiff
Ping S55 4-W Tour 120
Ping Scottsdale TR
Mizuno 52,54,58

Return to “Optishot Simulator”