Foresight flash module FYI

Tretee

Re: Foresight flash module FYI

Postby Tretee » Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:56 am

The DIY module FLASH tube exploded yesterday. That means it lasted 5 months. I haven't counted or kept track of the shots but would guess somewhere between 10 - 15k. We were just about to start a team event when the FLASH gave up. Since I did not have any spare prepared I had to go in to the house, bring out the tools and change the tube. It took literally 7 min from broken until I was playing again.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:24 pm

That shot count is pretty damn good to be honest, looking forward to seeing further updates on these :)
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:43 am

The good news.

The PCB's arrived today. The outer shape and hole routing was not to spec so I had to grind them down a bit but other that that they work fine.
Module tested with a few shots in the GC2 and it works as expected.

The bad news.
A few post's up you can read that I recently changed the tube in one of my Flash modules. While the previous tube lasted a reasonably long time. The new gave up a few days ago. That would be less than 500 shots. The tube still looks like new and it does fire, but not as it should. I spent quite some time to try to figure out what is going on changing trigger coils and making various measurements. The conclusion is that the quality on those China made tubes is not very consistent. I have tested some 20 tubes so far and have seen that the life time varies a lot. Some will work until they crack or explode, others will malfunction such that they will only fire 1 or 2 out of the up to 12 flashes. If you don't have the measuring equipment I do, you will not be able to see if it fires correctly or not. All you can see with your eyes is that it did fire but you still can't get any data for that shot.

Not a show stopper in any way, but the lesson learned here is that you should order more tubes than you think you need and probably have a spare FLASH module ready to go and that even if you see a flash it does not mean the tube is OK. If the GC2 can't detect the shot it might well be malfunctioning.

DIY_PCB.jpg
DIY_PCB.jpg (43.5 KiB) Viewed 768 times
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Fri Mar 17, 2017 10:59 am

That's a bit of a bad news, but still worth making them. I've been waiting 2 months for my soldering iron from china now. I think I'll just buy one here. Thanks for update.

Yohan

Postby Yohan » Sat May 06, 2017 10:17 am

Any update on the design and purchase of the flash? I am interested in purchasing and being apart of the study to make these better. I hate companies that try to take advantage of people. Please let us all know.

thanks,

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Sun May 07, 2017 3:05 pm

Flash is working fine. Main problem right now is that I have not been able to find a trig transformer that can last long enough.
They can break after 500 shots or 20k shots. Depends if you are lucky and get a good one. Quality is not that great.
The problem is basically that all trig transformers I have found that fit are designed for around 300V.
GC2 uses 435V. So they get hot and break.

Have ordered some new transformers and will try them out with a new design.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

leftygolfpro

Postby leftygolfpro » Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:57 am

Hi. I have a GC2 (Serial Number 3044 at Firmware 4.0.0.15). Have just had to replace original flash unit with my only spare. The unit has a label with 6700-0535 Rev B on back. Can you tell me if the units you are working on would be suitable? I've been quoted £395 by Foresight UK for a new SuperFlash unit.

Many Thanks

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:20 pm

Show us a picture of the module that is "broken".
That will tell us if it's a super flash or not.
If it is, then it's allegedly supposed to last 250k shots.

The modules I make last some 10k shots for the good ones.
Quality is a bit flaky so it could be less.
The one I have in there now has lasted quite some time.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

leftygolfpro

Postby leftygolfpro » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:10 am

Thanks. Picture attached
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (177.07 KiB) Viewed 440 times

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:04 am

That is the normal or "old" if you will.
The super flash window is much bigger.
So yes you can use the flash modules discussed here. If you send in your GC2 to upgrade it for the super flash then I don't know because I don't think anyone has tried or looked in to it.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Taylor40299

Postby Taylor40299 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 4:41 pm

So are you saling these. I purchase a kit on GSF, and it lasted 2 months. Trying to find an alternative to buying a superflash

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:22 am

No I am not selling modules. Just sharing info with those that want to DIY.
If somebody else wants to use the info I provided and sell modules, go ahead.
I have no problems with that.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Return to “Foresight GC2”