Missed reads: bunker/intentionally fat shots?

burnabao

Missed reads: bunker/intentionally fat shots?

Postby burnabao » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:40 am

Are any other SkyTrak users experiencing this? When in a greenside bunker with a steep face, you obviously want to get plenty of height but not too much forward carry. In real life you'd hit behind the ball, take a bit more sand, swing hard and hey presto, up pops the ball. Whenever I try to do this on JNPG my SkyTrak simply misses the shot. The only way I can get it to register is by catching the ball first but then I either don't get the necessary launch angle to escape or, in order to get it, end up flying the green. I can blow up entire rounds like this and it's doing my head in!

I also noticed it when a friend of mine came round to play and he regularly hits mat-then-ball - it took him forever to get his chips to read despite rearming the unit, having the ball logo facing camera etc..

Interestingly it doesn't seem to happen when hitting a full shot fat from the tee/fairway. Must be something to do with the short game mode, maybe? For what it's worth, I am using a CCE mat.

Trip

Re: Missed reads: bunker/intentionally fat shots?

Postby Trip » Sat Jul 22, 2017 8:01 am

Skytrak definitely has trouble with very high launch angle shots. If you're in a pot bunker it can be a pest.

MainStGolf

Re: Missed reads: bunker/intentionally fat shots?

Postby MainStGolf » Mon Aug 21, 2017 9:50 pm

I am using a CCE mat and HATED sand shots, but recently I started placing an actual "logo" to the unit (not just the name of the golf ball, but a decent sized logo) and all of my shots in the last three rounds have done exactly what I expected them to do except one. I had a short ship shot from the fairway that hit an uphill slope and spun back off the green. Outside of that everything has been spot on. I hit a 58 degree wedge out of bunkers. I normally use it with a regularly shaped shot (face not open for a flop). I haven't tried a true "flop" shot yet with the new logo to the unit technique.

Return to “SkyTrak”