Course Height Map Available!

Moderator: JohnMeyer

Tretee

Re: Course Height Map Available!

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:07 pm

Thanks Larry.

You are right. The problem is caused by the semi rough area not visible in the picture.
This course has plenty of those bunkers that are like holes in the fairway where the bunker is surrounded by rough.
While the splines do not overlap. When the mesh is generated it adds a "fringe" around the semi rough that is outside of the spline.
That area overlapped with the green and caused the mesh blend issue.
Image to illustrate the point. Move the "bunker rough" spline away from the green spline.
meshBlendError2.jpg
meshBlendError2.jpg (128.01 KiB) Viewed 871 times
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:18 pm

Was wondering if there are height maps or preferably 1M lidar for Cabot Cliffs and Cabot Links - They are real courses in Nova Scotia, Canada
GC2 PDT

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:37 am

Tretee wrote:Thanks Larry.

You are right. The problem is caused by the semi rough area not visible in the picture.
This course has plenty of those bunkers that are like holes in the fairway where the bunker is surrounded by rough.
While the splines do not overlap. When the mesh is generated it adds a "fringe" around the semi rough that is outside of the spline.
That area overlapped with the green and caused the mesh blend issue.
Image to illustrate the point. Move the "bunker rough" spline away from the green spline.
meshBlendError2.jpg

One other thing you can do is to customize the layer library settings. I changed mine for Firestone South to get the first cut of rough to look better.

LayerLibrary.JPG
LayerLibrary.JPG (52.07 KiB) Viewed 834 times

I changed the width setting from 1 to .1. This allowed be to place the some of the splines closer to each other. Here is a picture of the 16th green. Before I changed this setting, it was impossible for me to have all of these splines in the correct location without changing the location of either the green or the lake.

Green.JPG
Green.JPG (69.79 KiB) Viewed 834 times

After you change the layers library, you do have to change two normal map settings or your bunkers and rough won't look good (thanks to John Meyer and others for pointing this out).

BunkerNormalMap.JPG
BunkerNormalMap.JPG (45.96 KiB) Viewed 834 times

GrassNormalMap.JPG
GrassNormalMap.JPG (48.96 KiB) Viewed 834 times

Jeff
SkyTrak

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:41 am

I've signed up to create Kapalua Plantation course. The height map that I currently have does not use Lidar data. Is Lidar data available for this course? If so, could somebody provide this to me?

Thanks.

Jeff
SkyTrak

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:38 am

CintiGolfer wrote:One other thing you can do is to customize the layer library settings. I changed mine for Firestone South to get the first cut of rough to look better.

Jeff

Thanks. I was just about to investigate that very topic.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Mon Jan 02, 2017 10:13 am

CintiGolfer wrote:I've signed up to create Kapalua Plantation course. The height map that I currently have does not use Lidar data. Is Lidar data available for this course? If so, could somebody provide this to me?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

I couldn't find lidar for Kapalua, I did create another heightmap using Terraland. It might be a bit better than the one on the download page. Check it out and decide which may be better.

Larry

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61311854/CourseForge/USA/kapalua_final.unitypackage

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:39 pm

LarryKuh wrote:
CintiGolfer wrote:I've signed up to create Kapalua Plantation course. The height map that I currently have does not use Lidar data. Is Lidar data available for this course? If so, could somebody provide this to me?

Thanks.

Jeff

Jeff,

I couldn't find lidar for Kapalua, I did create another heightmap using Terraland. It might be a bit better than the one on the download page. Check it out and decide which may be better.

Larry

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61311854/CourseForge/USA/kapalua_final.unitypackage

Larry:

Thanks for doing this. I'll look at this before I start Kapalua. Since there is no Lidar available, I'll make sure to DVR the tournament this weekend so I can get some good views.

Jeff
SkyTrak

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:14 pm

Jeff,

Don't forget, I have Hudson Country Club waiting in the wings for you !!

Larry

highfade

Postby highfade » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:05 am

I can't download a single file? Do I need to download the whole pack? Maybe it's a BOX problem.

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:11 pm

Which ones were you after, the pgapro ones. If so your prob better trying to get one of the LIDAR ones Larry or Justin have made, or if not available asking if there can be a LIDAR one made, as despite the pgapro ones beeing better than a blank, they arent as good as a LIDAR one
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Sun Jan 08, 2017 12:25 pm

I agree with John. Larry provided Firestone South using Lidar and the difference is amazing. Larry also provided Kapalua for me and even though it is not Lidar based, it is much better than the original version.

Jeff
SkyTrak

highfade

Postby highfade » Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:01 am

Hi, I'm looking at Pinnacle Point in South Africa. It's close to where I live but don't think any accurate date will be available. If I can just download the file and have a look. Maybe it needs to be zipped?

Thanks

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Mon Jan 09, 2017 10:34 am

I checked for lidar and tried Terraland2, but couldn't come up with a heightmap for that course. It looks like it would be a good course.

highfade

Postby highfade » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:22 am

Thanks, I'll try to get some info from the designers.

Trip

Postby Trip » Mon Jul 03, 2017 6:10 am

I'd really appreciate a heightmap for South Herts Golf Club, London N20 8QU. I realise there's probably no LIDAR data but the google maps data seems reasonable resolution and will be better than what I'm doing at the moment which is trying to recreate it from a flat terrain.

Thanks in advance.

jerrydgrant

Postby jerrydgrant » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:07 pm

I am new to all of this, so if this question has already been answered I apologize! So where and how can I get height maps? I just want something different than what comes with course forge. THANKS!!

Return to “Course Forge Discussions & Videos”