Course Height Map Available!

Moderator: JohnMeyer

jasefarrell74

Re: Course Height Map Available!

Postby jasefarrell74 » Fri Nov 25, 2016 5:30 am

G'day John, that is definitely the Kingston Heath MRose was asking for. World Cup of golf is being played there atm, awesome course. I have about seven holes layed out and elevations to most bunkers done, may not ever release it but CF is heaps of fun to play with. Hopefully MRose will have a go at another great Aussie course after Royal Melbourne.

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Fri Nov 25, 2016 9:30 am

Hi Guys,

I sent John the correct height map for Kingston Heath. The new height map is far better resolution.

The search I did in Terraland for Kingston Heath took me to Moonah Links instead. I guess I need to make sure I turn on labels. Sorry for the confusion.

Larry

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Fri Nov 25, 2016 12:09 pm

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/613 ... itypackage

Here is Larrys terrain.

My fault on the previous one, I should have given proper address etc.

As with all these they are limited by the data available, and may/will require further smoothing and shaping due to resoution upscaling etc etc. Should give at least a starting point as opposed to a blank flat terrain though
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

MRose

Postby MRose » Fri Nov 25, 2016 2:01 pm

That looks to be the one!

The other one almost looked like it could have been in the UK.... I thought maybe I had Walton Heath :)

This one will do nicely...
Prelude · Sapphire Lake · Jersey Hills · Reservoir · Blackwolf Run · Old Scotch · Evergreen Park · Pebble Beach · Royal Melbourne
Mesquite Valley · Cherry Hills · Flatwater · Plainfield · Spyglass Hill · Alpine Crossing · Kingston Heath

nstone73

Postby nstone73 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:26 pm

Any chance of Gosforth Golf Club at Broadway East, Newcastle upon Tyne NE3 5ER (55.017700, -1.614732)?

It's pretty flat and not long but it's my old course in the UK before I moved to Colorado and am interested in how it would look in Unity. I would also be interested in "improving" it, perhaps creating a "fictional" version where I could re-design some of the holes, perhaps adding some length that are constrained by the houses and roads around the course.

Cheers,
Neil

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:19 am

nstone73

Postby nstone73 » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:04 pm

Much appreciated...but as expected, the general hills are there, but it's pretty rough. Was cool zooming around and measuring and placing a few outlines, but looks like a lot of work is needed to get it playable....maybe something I'll re-visit in the future. Again, thanks for the package...I hope it wasn't much trouble to create it.

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Wed Dec 07, 2016 10:26 am

Yes, they are very rough when created from Bing, Google, etc. The best maps are those created using LIDAR data which gives a very accurate plot of the land. Maybe JohnMeyer can come up with a map using lidar, or If I can locate the UK data, I'll give it a try.

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Wed Dec 07, 2016 11:03 am

Im still trying to get a decent LIDAR workflow.

The two methods Ive seen so far are JoeHabingers one, which uses GlobalMapper which I havent got and be able to export you need the paid version. This does use .LAS files though which is what I get for any US courses I get LIDAR for.

Scotts method uses free software, but uses .tif files which Im still working on a good workflow to be able to generate good tif files from .LAS and .asc data (UK Lidar normally comes in .LAS or .asc)

I will come up with the solution at some stage Im sure
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

scottpussehl

Postby scottpussehl » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:46 pm

JohnMeyer wrote:Im still trying to get a decent LIDAR workflow.

The two methods Ive seen so far are JoeHabingers one, which uses GlobalMapper which I havent got and be able to export you need the paid version. This does use .LAS files though which is what I get for any US courses I get LIDAR for.

Scotts method uses free software, but uses .tif files which Im still working on a good workflow to be able to generate good tif files from .LAS and .asc data (UK Lidar normally comes in .LAS or .asc)

I will come up with the solution at some stage Im sure

John, I was taking a look into this today. I got the 1m LIDAR data from the UK Gov. and had the elevation data all setup for the golf course. The problem was that the stuipd UK gov did not attach any geo-spacial reference info to the .asc files for correct position of elevation which makes it VERY VERY tough to align the imagery.

But VT Builder did infact work with the .asc files

http://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxDdj5D ... sp=sharing
That is the .png file I did get from VTBuilder. Let me know if you want the 9 .sc files that cover the golf course

I won't lie, I have given up for now.

Faddie

Postby Faddie » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:01 pm

There is a free program called 3dem that can be downloaded off the web. It will stitch together las files and you are able to save as a USGS dem, geotiff dem, and a few other options. I am able to download lidar data and orthoimagery from the USGS site which has data for the US. With 3 dem you are able to overlay and georeference the orthoimagery onto the lidar data and then save the image and the dem. You can then take Joe's tutorial from Wilbur on. Wilbur will open a usgsdem file, that you can then save as a ping surface file.
3dem was last supported for Vista. You will need to do a compatability check. I have been using it with Windows 10 without problems for some time. I use vista service pack 2 for compatability and run as an administrator. I have not been able yet to get it to take google and bing images obtained from SASplanet. However there is a workaround possibility.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 8:06 am

Does anybody have the know how to check LIDAR data availability for TPC San Antonio?
I would be interested to design the course. Going there in 3 months. Would like to test play the course before and could make the final adjustments after having played it IRL and documented the subtle details.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 2:04 pm

I checked the US National Map, and there was no LIDAR available for TPC San Antonio. Probably the best that could be done at this time is a Google/Bing heightmap. If you want to try using that heightmap, I could create one for you.

Larry

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Mon Dec 26, 2016 9:45 pm

Hi Larry,

Yes please I will take whatever as a starting point since it's better than nothing.
I will record the round with my go pro so I can make adjustments later.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:43 pm

Here is the heightmap for TPC San Antonio. It looks like it is very good with no steps that need smoothing. It should give you a good starting point.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/61311854/CourseForge/USA/tpc_sanantonio.unitypackage

Larry

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:20 am

Thank you!
Terrain looks better than I expected.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 10:13 am

Did a test by laying out hole 1.
Usual workflow as described in Mikes tutorial but instead of using the CF supplied terrain I use Larry's.
As far as I can see terrain is not working with CF.
E.g. I can paint meshes on top of it but the blending is not behaving as on the default terrain.

The supplied terrain res/settings are different from the CF default one.
I seam to recall a discussion that this needs to be somehow re-scaled in some program before it can be used.
But I can't find that thread. Help would be appreciated.
The with x height is also different vs. the recommended 2k x 2k.
Is that a problem?
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 11:40 am

I quickly drew a green, fairway and rough, then refreshed the splines. It worked flawlessly with the expected blend, I then created a couple of paint textures and painted an area not covered by a spline. Again it worked flawlessly. I didn't try any trees or grasses, but I don't expect any problems.

The terrain has been set up for optimum resolutions for painting, etc. The reason the size is 2500x2500 is it had to be that large to fit the course inside a square Unity terrain. The terrain size has to vary to enable the entire course to be enclosed. Some can be smaller than 2000x2000, while others are larger.

You might post some pictures so we can see what is happening on your PC.

Larry

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:13 pm

Hi Larry,

That sounds great. Below is the image that shows why I made the conclusions I did.
As you can see the green mesh that has been smoothed and flattened a lot has a bunch of fairway bleeding thru.
All the meshes and splines have been re generated a few times.
I did not see any of that in the course I designed previously that is based on the included default terrain.
Could well be an editor issue and not visible in the game. Have not tried to play the course yet.

meshBlendError.jpg
meshBlendError.jpg (91.24 KiB) Viewed 1082 times
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

LarryKuh

Postby LarryKuh » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:34 pm

It appears that the green spline was never refreshed after the smoothing was done. Select on of the control points of the green spline and do another refresh of that spline only. Also ensure there is no overlap of the fairway spline and the green spline. I duplicated something similar to yours by overlapping the fairway spline and the green spline.

Return to “Course Forge Discussions & Videos”