Short chip/pitch on 1.4.2 (VIDEO ADDED)

Moderators: Zmax, Shankygolf

Shankygolf

Short chip/pitch on 1.4.2 (VIDEO ADDED)

Postby Shankygolf » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:16 am

Seems that a good few of us are experiencing difficulty with short shorts into pins from under 40ft so I decided to have 5 mins experimenting with it before I left work last night to see if there was a better way to play it.

Those shots before have always been a LW for me and typically they are around 27-30 LA with 1200+ BSpin, on the new build these are the shots that bite and back up in an unrealistic way, especially when there's an elevation change or landing on an upslope.

So here's what I found -
1, Hitting more of a flop was ok but comes with its own issues as strike plays a huge part in how the ball then reacts when landing. But if executed correctly it was producing more realistic results.
2, Hitting a bump and run style shot with a PW looked very very realistic and if I'm honest its much more of the shot I'd be hitting irl.
3, Putting is ok if you are in the fairway but shouldn't be used from the rough as its too unpredictable.

If you're playing to an elevated green just make sure you land on the upslope in the fairway/fringe rather than on the green if there's little green to work with or you'll likely run 10ft+ beyond the hole.

As a rough guide (this will vary from person to person as we will use different balls and have differing launch characteristics) here's a carry to bounce and roll ratio for these bump and run style shots -

GW - 50 - 50 (50% through the air then 50% bounce and roll) Sometimes this one still stopped too quickly
PW - 40 - 60 (40% through the air then 60% bounce and roll)
9i - 30 -70 (30% through the air then 70% bounce and roll)

What I try to do is use the bli to see how much green I have to work with before selecting my club, for example if my shot is 40ft and the green starts at 25ft I'll use the GW and land it just short of the green at 20ft and it'll bounce on and roll nicely to the pin.

Load up a course on practice mode and have a play from around 40ft and see what works best for you (don't use Woody's as its too flat and not what we see in game) maybe even try with different balls and see the difference. If I switched out my pro v1 for a harder ball the backing up issue almost disappeared when using the LW.....

I'll try to get a video done of this at some point but wanted to share my findings so you can try these different shots for yourselves.

EDIT- here's the video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Za4Iu9rO6o

Thanks for your time and please feel free to post comments or questions below.

Shane
I help people learn to love their golf swing!
In person, Online and LIVE online lessons available
http://www.shankygolf.co.uk
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

Tretee

Re: Short chip/pitch on 1.4.2

Postby Tretee » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks Shane,

This is useful. Was anyway planing to go and test this to learn what possibilities exist.
The original plan to put instead of chip when close to pin/green is not working in all cases.
What surprised me the most was those cases where you put and there is big brake on the fairway/rough part.
Never doing that again.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

erikh5014

Postby erikh5014 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:03 pm

I had a couple "bump n runs" with a 9i today with very low trajectory using a hard low spin ball that hit the green and spun back to almost directly where i hit from.
JNPG Simulator Tour - GC2
U.S. EST

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Sat Dec 17, 2016 4:12 am

erikh5014 wrote:I had a couple "bump n runs" with a 9i today with very low trajectory using a hard low spin ball that hit the green and spun back to almost directly where i hit from.

Hey Erik, was just reading your posts in the long drive thread and sounds like your skytrak is over reading spin for sure. As psgolfer said I don't know if its even possible to get 10k with a 3 wood.
If you are hitting 9i bump and run shots from 40ft I doubt you'd see much more than 800-1000 spin, especially with a low spin ball.

Maybe you could post some numbers of those shots? Launch angle, backspin, ball speed, carry distance and club used would be very useful.

The more info we can gather about these type of things the better chance we have of finding what the issues are.

Thanks
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

erikh5014

Postby erikh5014 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:42 am

Shankygolf wrote:
erikh5014 wrote:I had a couple "bump n runs" with a 9i today with very low trajectory using a hard low spin ball that hit the green and spun back to almost directly where i hit from.

Hey Erik, was just reading your posts in the long drive thread and sounds like your skytrak is over reading spin for sure. As psgolfer said I don't know if its even possible to get 10k with a 3 wood.
If you are hitting 9i bump and run shots from 40ft I doubt you'd see much more than 800-1000 spin, especially with a low spin ball.

Maybe you could post some numbers of those shots? Launch angle, backspin, ball speed, carry distance and club used would be very useful.

The more info we can gather about these type of things the better chance we have of finding what the issues are.

Thanks

Yeah I will start really keeping an eye on numbers and get them posted. I think there is an issue with my Skytrak
U.S. EST

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:32 pm

And it could also be your mat. Some mats can add a ton of spin.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:
I5 6600k-16 GB-GTX670-Ultra High-Tree 2.05,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1171-Dynamic Skys ON

Sim pc:
I7 4790k-16 GB-GTX1060SC-Ultra High-Tree max,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1200-Dynamic Skys ON

Shankygolf

Re: Short chip/pitch on 1.4.2 (VIDEO ADDED)

Postby Shankygolf » Wed Dec 21, 2016 3:57 am

Video added to first post
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

ryanoneill1

Postby ryanoneill1 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:24 am

Shanky,

Should a shot from 10-30feet have <=1000 rpm of backspin? Would you think IRL that ball would hit the green and run forward or backward or stop?

Ryan

Shankygolf wrote:

Thanks

erikh5014

Postby erikh5014 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 11:58 am

Chipping has been pretty cool lately trying to mess with spin. The bump n run only happened twice and i had it happen playing with Shawn the other night but i looked at spin and it was 10k so just a misread on the skytrak. Every now and then i get weird spin chipping most of the time its in the 200-900 range for a bump n run.
U.S. EST

RagnarD

Postby RagnarD » Thu Dec 22, 2016 2:12 pm

Two suggestions to try with the skytrak regarding spin:
Try a different ball with a well-defined black logo if you're not already using one - I think this helps it calculate spin.
Try lining up the ball so the putting line is on top and the brand logo is facing the camera (same reason)
I normally only do this for putts and drives, just in case, but I'd imagine that short chips may face similar challenges.
I had the same short chip boomerang problem once or twice, I don't think I aligned the ball logo to the camera, maybe I should in the future for such shots.
I also notice on the JNPG interface/Skytrak connect screen, there's a box that I leave unchecked at the bottom that allows you to play only with high confidence shots. I haven't used it yet, but it's probably a way to reduce misreads at the cost of more no-reads.

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:44 pm

ryanoneill1 wrote:Shanky,

Should a shot from 10-30feet have <=1000 rpm of backspin? Would you think IRL that ball would hit the green and run forward or backward or stop?

Ryan

Hey Ryan, so much of that depends on fairway-green ratio, elevation etc etc but I'd say most shots of that length would be around about 1000 rpm yes and most would release out, might get a little check on a 30ft one with LW but not stop, no way, unless serious upslope.
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

Return to “Video Instructions”