3 secrets to better sim golf!

Moderators: Zmax, Shankygolf

Shankygolf

3 secrets to better sim golf!

Postby Shankygolf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:20 am

Ok so before everyone starts asking for online drugs tests to be carried out on me I thought I'd share a few secrets that have lead to me playing some of the best golf of my life.

I put this down to 3 things -

#1 - Learning how to use the bli (Break Line Indicator) for putting. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LpVYDk6YhE

#2 - Spending serious time on OGT Combine - honestly cant believe only 7 people registered so far!! This thing is epic for improving fast! Yes it gets frustrating but thats also the great bit about it.
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.net/combine-leaderboard.html?id=25134

#3 - Doing the above 2 things in the time that I would normally have been just loading a course and aimlessly playing 18 holes for the sake of trying a new course or killing time between lessons.

What I do is either load a random course, on practice mode, go to each green and spend time learning how to get the most out of the bli, learn how the ball breaks with different speeds and slopes (while there I will do some chipping where I also use the bli) or simply load up combine and see if I can improve from my last attempt.

That way my practice always has purpose and is more pressure based (esp on combine) than just standing there pounding balls as I'm sure we have all been guilty of. This aimless practice is what breeds swing faults imo. With summer holidays etc I've had a little bit more time so would estimate my practice to be in the region of 10-12 hrs a week minimum and that doesn't include playing in events! Might not sound a lot but its proper focussed sessions and my body and mind know about it after let me tell you.

My goal at the start of the season was to shoot a 59 in a tour event (rather than exhibition) which I managed at Pacific Dunes with rounds of 60 and 59. Followed by an opening 60 this week too so the hard work has paid off.

My new goal is to get to 90 on the combine - this feels like its will be a whole new challenge as hitting approx 35 great shots along with great putting for 59 is one thing, hittiing 60 of my absolute best shots in a row is going to be uber tough! So far if I take the best of each distance I could get 90.2 so its doable!

So there you have it, set yourself some goals, load up OGT Combine or practice mode and get swinging. Good Luck!

Shane
I help people learn to love their golf swing!
In person, Online and LIVE online lessons available
http://www.shankygolf.co.uk
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

jasefarrell74

Re: 3 secrets to better sim golf!

Postby jasefarrell74 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:07 am

Hi Shane, I would say this would apply to golf irl as well. I think most of us amateurs out there could improve significantly if we practiced more short game and putting as opposed to making the perfect swing.

Putting pressure on yourself when practicing is also very important, it makes the eighteenth tee a little easier when you need a par to win the monthly medal. I am guilty of not playing the combine challenge yet but will someday soon, if I'm not playing a tourney I generally try a course record attempt which at least keeps me focused and makes it purposeful. Nice playing lately. Cheers Jase.

wilson

Postby wilson » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:51 am

Practice? - where can I buy this? What does it cost? Does it come in a 430cc version. I would need an X-Stiff at least. Maybe I should look into the blade version, that drops a stroke or two.

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:54 am

wilson wrote:Practice? - where can I buy this? What does it cost? Does it come in a 430cc version. I would need an X-Stiff at least. Maybe I should look into the blade version, that drops a stroke or two.

Gotta make sure your glutes Fire properly to get a nice traj.

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:33 am

HoganWoods wrote:
wilson wrote:Practice? - where can I buy this? What does it cost? Does it come in a 430cc version. I would need an X-Stiff at least. Maybe I should look into the blade version, that drops a stroke or two.

Gotta make sure your glutes Fire properly to get a nice traj.

Haha epic guys but everyone knows its really all about the alpha, gamma and beta positions and torques, internal & external rotation & making a Z trace with COP!

When will you guys start listening about clubs !?! You all need X X stiff, 4 degree drivers that are no less than 48 inches long with 17 layers of tape! Oh and get that old 1 iron back in the bag too and dont bother regripping it as the old grip will make you strangle hold it which adds to power by 73.224%
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:02 pm

You forgot to add a 4th and probably the most important step.

#4: Lessons from a good PGA professional

You can practice till your hands bleed but if you don't combine that with lessons, you will have a much tougher time reaching your potential. I'm guilty of this myself.... :oops:
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10036

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OGTSimulatorTour/

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Zmax wrote:You forgot to add a 4th and probably the most important step.

#4: Lessons from a good PGA professional

You can practice till your hands bleed but if you don't combine that with lessons, you will have a much tougher time reaching your potential. I'm guilty of this myself.... :oops:

Yeah thought about adding that but didn't wanna turn it into a glorified advert to come to me for lessons lol but having said that yes I'd agree it probably is the most important step for you guys!

Feel free to send vids Vance!
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:49 pm

Nah, I'm still in favour of drug tests!!!
GC2 PDT

sfr

Postby sfr » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:43 pm

I just hate to see what happens if he starts to take his time and play a round.

With the Combine thing, I think it is the most realistic part of the sim as there are just shots to various yardage and accuracy. No funny greens or chipping issues, just ball striking. It does help you find weak areas of your game and thus stay away from those yardages if possible.

I would like to start with the Driver and work back as by the time I get to the last two, I am almost worn out.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Return to “Shanky's Corner”