How to hit 85% shots

Moderators: Zmax, Shankygolf

v8burble

How to hit 85% shots

Postby v8burble » Fri Feb 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Hey Shane - I'm one of those golfers that is happy hitting 100% shots(or more, if thats not an oxymoron) [good word eh?]
More often than not when I try to hit 85-95% I end up shanking the ball or a really bad ball strike. Any advice on how to address this? PLEEEEZ
UK - GC2 & HMT, SkyTrak and golf simulation reseller.

Zmax

Re: How to hit 85% shots

Postby Zmax » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:01 pm

Good question. I always go all out on every shot to insure a good strike. :)
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10036

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OGTSimulatorTour/

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:26 pm

Use a putter

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:33 pm

roll it with your hand or use a putter, ha ha ha, just kidding. I'm no pro by any means, but if you use a clock method and take the club back to 9 o'clock that's what I do. Works great with all clubs especially those 80 yard full shots with my 58 (normally hit it 100 yards full).
GC2 PDT

v8burble

Postby v8burble » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:00 pm

HoganWoods wrote:Use a putter

No bean bags nearby so won't use a putter.

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Fri Feb 03, 2017 3:17 pm

hehe, nicely done. My son asked me what happened to his bean bag...

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Fri Feb 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Good question Phil and thanks for reaching out!

Ok so this is a topic that comes up loads in lessons and you'd be surprised how many people are really bad at these shots.

For me its helping people understand what they are actually trying to do with the ball. Believe it or not so many don't even have an answer when I ask that question - the standard answer is 'I'm just gonna hit it softer than normal' then they wonder why it comes up 20 yards shorter than they wanted! Gotta have a plan.......

Firstly you need to know how far you hit it with a full swing so you can plot roughly where you 'o'clock' position swings will go. This should be easy as you are all using launch monitors. (I use carry rather than the total yardage)

Set up wise all I do is grip lower down the handle (approx 1in) stand with feet slightly closer together than a normal full swing with weight 60/40 in favour of front foot with ball in the middle of my stance. (I do move this to alter trajectory)

For the 85% shot I'd swing to approx 10 o'clock (lead arm pos for right hand player) in the backswing and then swing through the ball with the same level of commitment I'd use on a full swing - this is where most people go wrong. They swing shorter and also slower which completely throws out the sequencing and timing hence the shanks and the ball going lots shorter than planned. Try to finish the swing shorter than a normal full swing but not completely matched up back and through so 10 o'clock back should be 1 o'clock through.

My full swing SW is pretty much 100 carry so my 10 o'clock swing is 85 so works out perfectly.

I'll try to get a little video to go with this but feel free to ask questions if you'd like me to go further with any of this.

Also let's try to get more things like this going so please feel free to reach out and ask if there's anything you're struggling with.

Cheers

Shane
I help people learn to love their golf swing!
In person, Online and LIVE online lessons available
http://www.shankygolf.co.uk
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

v8burble

Postby v8burble » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:47 pm

Thanks Shane. The idea of a shorter backswing but still swinging through with the same commitment feels good. I always tend to swing through half-cocked which his where it all goes wrong.
I'll test this out in the days ahead.
Cheers,
Phil

jasefarrell74

Postby jasefarrell74 » Sat Feb 04, 2017 4:12 am

Shane is on the money again, as usual. I have been using the clock method (was it Dave Pelz?) for twenty years or so and can guarantee it will improve your short game.

You may carry four wedges nowadays, 8 to 11 o'clock gives you 16 different carry distances for those respective wedges. When you get really good you can go as low as 3 o'clock and know that lob wedge will carry 6 yards or pitching wedge maybe 9 yards.

You can do this with any club, not just wedges btw. If you know you can hit a 10 o'clock driver to 220 yards with a gay fade then use it. The great thing about the GC2 is you can really know how far you actually carry it, back in the day I had to step all of them out. Cheers Jase.

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:01 am

Yes it was Dave Pelz who either came up with this method or at least documented it in his Short Game Bible. I bought this when it was first released about 20 years ago. Pelz taught 3 different swings (7:30, 9, 10:30) with 4 different wedges to produce 12 repeatable yardages. If you grip down about 1 inch (some of his early grips had some lines on them so you could repeatable grip down the same amount), it would subtract about 5 yards from each shot. This would give you 24 different yardages. Before I had a launch monitor, I would "calibrate" my yardages by hitting about 5 shots with each swing on the course (not the range) and then measure the distance that the balls traveled. For me, the 10:30 swing was 100%, the 9:00 swing was 75% of the full yardage (10:30 swing), and the 7:30 swing was 50% of the full yardage. Initially I taped these yardages on my wedges so I would be able to remember them. However, I've used this for so long now that I've memorized all of my yardages. Here are my yardages without gripping down:

PW (49 deg) - 115, 93, 63
SW (55 deg) - 100, 75, 50
LW (60 deg) - 80, 60, 40
XW (64 deg) - 60, 45, 30

You will notice that there are some similar yardages in this matrix. For example, a 7:30 PW goes 63 while a 9:00 LW goes 60. If I was playing to a back pin that was 65 yards, I would probably hit the 7:30 PW since this would land more towards the middle of the green and release towards the hole. If I was playing to a front pin with a bunker in front, I would probably hit the 9:00 LW so I would clear the bunker but still get some additional spin.

Since you are only learning 3 swings, you can learn this relatively quickly. I think this is a great method for learning how to hit partial wedges.

Pelz also used the same advice that Shane gave about changing the backswing length but keeping the same follow through length for all 3 swings. Pelz thought that it was too difficult to control yardage by changing how hard you swing on the downswing.

I actually still use Pelz SW, LW and XW. I bought my second set right before the groove rule changed. I will be able to play these legally through 2023 unless I play in a top level amateur event or pro event (neither of these is going to happen). Pelz did a great job designing these wedges. The only thing I don't like about them is that none of the wedges have much bounce. This works great for the courses that I play most of the time. However, if I travel to a different part of the country that has really soft powder sand in the bunkers, I struggle a little because my wedges dig too much.
SkyTrak

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:16 am

Practice the wedges combine and you will drop 2 shots per round on tour.

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:23 am

I didn't realize that all of the new combines were available. I would agree that this is a great way to practice. Pelz also had a test that I did once or twice per year (it requires a fairly empty golf course or a range that has an awesome short game practice area) that you could use to evaluate how well you were doing in each area.
SkyTrak

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:36 pm

Awesome posts Cintigolfer - pretty much covered what I was going to say in a video (I thought it was too long winded to write all of that lol)

I've given a copy of the Pelz short game test and hopefully one day we can have something like it made up on here.

Also agree 100% with HoganWoods that doing the wedge combine tests on here will save you at least 2 shots per round.
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 7:12 pm

The ogt short game combine using the ogt hq course I made uses the 9 shots from the peltz short game test , plus a tough little pot bunker shot thrown in too
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:31 pm

I used the short game combine today for the first time. Great work John. I used to practice on a course when I played 9 holes after work 3 times per week. I would drop 3 or 4 balls around each green and hit them 4 or 5 times per hole. That practice really helped hone my touch. Unfortunately I haven't done this for the past 6 years. The short game combine really showed how rusty my short game has become. I plan to use this significantly. I'm sure it will help both my sim golf and real golf.
SkyTrak

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Sun Feb 05, 2017 3:09 am

JohnMeyer wrote:The ogt short game combine using the ogt hq course I made uses the 9 shots from the peltz short game test , plus a tough little pot bunker shot thrown in too

Awesome stuff John, I hadn't seen this - you must have got it done while I was away. Thanks and will give it a go
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:48 am

Yes mate sorry, put it together last week. Its a tough little combine test, and covers all the peltz shots as per that pdf you sent me.

Alternatively you can play the course as a standard 18 hole course.. the championship tees are all putting tees, 3 at each distance of 5, 10 15, 20 ,25 and 30ft with left-right, straight, and right to left

The challenge tees are all various short game shots, so if you play a full 18 youll get 18 different short game scenarios, including the 9 peltz ones.
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

CintiGolfer

Postby CintiGolfer » Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:36 am

This is just another reason that I'm very glad that I bought a simulator and JNPG.
SkyTrak

Return to “Shanky's Corner”