PWTP AP Invitational round 2

Moderators: Zmax, Shankygolf

Shankygolf

PWTP AP Invitational round 2

Postby Shankygolf » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:32 pm

Hey guys,

thought I'd get a live video of me playing a tour round for you to see how I get it done. Not my best by any means but holed a few putts on those tricky greens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gSL6UEzVdE

Appreciate its not a short video so thanks for watching to those of you that stick with it until the end.

Cheers

Shane
I help people learn to love their golf swing!
In person, Online and LIVE online lessons available
http://www.shankygolf.co.uk
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

HoganWoods

Re: PWTP AP Invitational round 2

Postby HoganWoods » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:28 pm

Great video, Shane. I was giving shane grief all week about how he makes loads of putts but as we can see it doesn't really matter, he could putt left handed and still win. Your bad shots are basically my good shots. Great round and thanks for posting. These are really cool to watch.

Tekbud

Postby Tekbud » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:43 am

Don't believe I've ever watched anyone's full round until this. I can't imagine playing this fast however I think it may help me to get in a rhythm if possible. Makes it look so easy... Thanks for posting.

JohnMeyer

Postby JohnMeyer » Wed Mar 15, 2017 5:24 am

Loved it Shane, amazing to see someone who is thinking about playing the course because they dont have to to think about playing the shot. A lovely natural smooth rhythm to all your strokes, and for those greens on Stimp 12 you made them look easy.

From a tournament setup point of view it actually made me quite happy with the setup, seemed to be a nice mix of tricky and easiers ones, rewarded the shots the were close for the most part, and the brave approaches seemed to be met with opportunities to score also.

Great job and thoroughly enjoyable watch, cheers mate
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

dougrichardson

Postby dougrichardson » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:22 am

Well that was fun and educational to watch. Shoot, golf is way easier than I thought! ;-)

...as said above, your bad shots are my good ones.

I noticed that you pay attention to the lie and JNPG penalties applied but didn't observe any consideration for the wind other than hoping it would correct a misdirection once. Do you consider the wind or just automatically take it out with more draw or fade?

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:19 pm

Thanks for the comments guys :D

Doug, I didn't mention the wind in the video but its something that I always look at and automatically factor in to my shots, the same as I do the lie penalty, elevation changes and sloping lies. Good question!

I hope you all can learn from these videos and see the way I plot it round and I think as John said, I play the course rather than thinking about my swing. Something that I discuss with students on a regular basis is the fact that when I'm playing a game, all that matters is getting it around the course and making a score - if something isn't quite right, for example, from the start my driver wasn't great but you'll notice that I didn't try to do anything about it. That's something for FSX, HMT and I to sort out after the game, if it was really destructive I'd have gone to the 3 wood as I did a few times in the round.

I guess the biggest thing and something a few guys have messaged me about is that my misses are still actually very good, its the most important thing that I've worked on over 26 yrs of playing golf. Golf is more about your bad shots than your good shots. I always try to choose shots and aim in a way that when I hit a bad shot the result still works out. The 2nd shot into 18 is a good example, I aimed middle of the green as the one place I couldn't miss was short right, I actually pushed the shot 6-8yds right and got away with it. If I'd have aimed at the flag it would have been game over!

I might start making a regular thing of recording at least one of my tour rounds per week?
Is that something that you guys would like to see?

Cheers,
Shane
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

sfr

Postby sfr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:24 pm

I have not watched the entire round yet but I just marvel at how you don't take much time to calculate the penalty lies or when reading the green, you take little time with the BLI and are very good at your reads and your weight is crazy good.

I like to see this type of video.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Tekbud

Postby Tekbud » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:43 pm

Shankygolf wrote:Thanks for the comments guys :D

Doug, I didn't mention the wind in the video but its something that I always look at and automatically factor in to my shots, the same as I do the lie penalty, elevation changes and sloping lies. Good question!

I hope you all can learn from these videos and see the way I plot it round and I think as John said, I play the course rather than thinking about my swing. Something that I discuss with students on a regular basis is the fact that when I'm playing a game, all that matters is getting it around the course and making a score - if something isn't quite right, for example, from the start my driver wasn't great but you'll notice that I didn't try to do anything about it. That's something for FSX, HMT and I to sort out after the game, if it was really destructive I'd have gone to the 3 wood as I did a few times in the round.

I guess the biggest thing and something a few guys have messaged me about is that my misses are still actually very good, its the most important thing that I've worked on over 26 yrs of playing golf. Golf is more about your bad shots than your good shots. I always try to choose shots and aim in a way that when I hit a bad shot the result still works out. The 2nd shot into 18 is a good example, I aimed middle of the green as the one place I couldn't miss was short right, I actually pushed the shot 6-8yds right and got away with it. If I'd have aimed at the flag it would have been game over!

I might start making a regular thing of recording at least one of my tour rounds per week?
Is that something that you guys would like to see?

Cheers,
Shane

keep them coming and adding any additional tidbits on strategy as you go would be great - thanks!

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:47 pm

Do the 8 hole augusta challenge as a vid, please.

Shankygolf

Postby Shankygolf » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:36 pm

Thanks guys, I'll be sure to keep these vids coming.

sfr wrote:I have not watched the entire round yet but I just marvel at how you don't take much time to calculate the penalty lies or when reading the green, you take little time with the BLI and are very good at your reads and your weight is crazy good.

I like to see this type of video.

Lie penalties are quite easy as far as I'm concerned, I simply go about a yard per % at around 160 yds out, slightly less under that and slightly more over about 180 yds, not scientific but seems to work out ok for me. I also look at where the flag is situated on the green when looking at penalties, for example if the flag is at the back of the green and I've got 160 yds and a 5% penalty I'll just hit my normal 160 shot as the last thing I want to do is short side myself over the green, if I come up 5yds short thats only 15ft at the end of the day! If its the same 160 and 5% with a front pin I'll try to hit 165 yds, if thats a tad too much I'm in the middle of the green again prob around 15-20ft. I'm always looking at being in the best scoring position possible and do all of this without even really thinking about it too consciously.

My putting is purely feel based, I read it just as I would irl, breaks will have less affect in first third of the putt as the ball is moving fastest, start to break mid putt and move most as the ball is losing speed at the end. I work this out very quickly as I move the BLI back and forth. One of the biggest things I've learned recent weeks with some of the more sloping greens is to get the longer putts finishing on the low side but hole high so that if I do miss the gimmie length I have a straight uphill putt to hole.

Anyway thats enough of my secrets for now ;)

HoganWoods wrote:Do the 8 hole augusta challenge as a vid, please.

Ok sure!

Maybe on one of my next vids I'll talk more about what I'm thinking and looking at when choosing and playing the shots.

Cheers
Shane
GC2+HMT Sim player
UK - EST +5

sfr

Postby sfr » Wed Mar 15, 2017 7:45 pm

Shankygolf wrote:Anyway thats enough of my secrets for now ;)

Sorry have to ask one more while we are at it.

Do you know if it matters with putt speed if you have a 20 foot putt and the uphill is a gradual uphill all the way to the hole of 10 inches, and compare that to the same 20 foot and same 10 inch uphill but this time the uphill is all within the first 10 feet of the putt. Is the same ball speed needed for both putts seeing that they are both 20 foot and 10 inch up hill or does the steepness and where the uphill takes place effect things?

I always assumed this type of putt would have the same ball speed needed as the distance and uphill are the same and it would not matter where the hill was in the putt.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Return to “Shanky's Corner”