What is the point of this game?

Moderators: Zmax, Shankygolf

jasefarrell74

What is the point of this game?

Postby jasefarrell74 » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:32 am

To improve, as a golfer and a person. No other sport in this world can teach what golf can, in my experience. Why do you guys and gals out there play this great game? Cheers Jase.

HoganWoods

Re: What is the point of this game?

Postby HoganWoods » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:04 am

I play as an escape from other things in life, and as a means of competition. Without either of you those I don't think think I would play.

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:12 am

Addiction.......... Most people don't understand it but honestly golf is like a drug to me. Always chasing that PERFECT HIT!!! Also, for me it's the one place where it's you vs the course. Some days it's good, some days not so good. Plus the smell of fresh cut grass is one of my favourite smells. I could go on and on the list is long, which is why I love to travel and play courses around the world. Also, like Hoganwoods it's my escape too. I honestly just love golf and being on the golf course.
GC2 PDT

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:30 am

I don't know anymore.....Thinking about shutting it all down.....
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:
I5 6600k-16 GB-GTX670-Ultra High-Tree 2.05,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1171-Dynamic Skys ON

Sim pc:
I7 4790k-16 GB-GTX1060SC-Ultra High-Tree max,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1200-Dynamic Skys ON

sfr

Postby sfr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 1:35 pm

As been said before, golf is the only game you can compete with anyone (due to handicap) but yet the harder you try and longer you practice and the better you get, the guy who does not practice, does not try harder and does not get better, can still beat you based on handicap....that they think they have.

That is my biggest beef in golf..... guys who don't have an actual handicap but yet want to use one when they play.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:14 pm

sfr wrote:As been said before, golf is the only game you can compete with anyone (due to handicap) but yet the harder you try and longer you practice and the better you get, the guy who does not practice, does not try harder and does not get better, can still beat you based on handicap....that they think they have.

That is my biggest beef in golf..... guys who don't have an actual handicap but yet want to use one when they play.

What we do for our games is the person doesn't have a registered USGA or RCGA cap, they get 80% of what they think they are. The re-adjust if needed after 9 holes. When I play match play some of the guys I be against are 20 and 24 caps, I'm giving up 14 to 18 shots per round, so we take 90% of the net strokes I'd give and play off of that number.

Oh ya, forgot, I love to gamble too...nothing better than standing over a 10' putt for the win!!!
GC2 PDT

v8burble

Postby v8burble » Wed Feb 08, 2017 4:52 pm

sfr wrote:That is my biggest beef in golf..... guys who don't have an actual handicap but yet want to use one when they play.

I don't have an actual handicap, doesn't make me a bad person :) (2 rounds of IRL golf a year never justified it)
Squash, table tennis have a handicap system which makes it tougher for better players too.
I hate the stuffiness and elitism of golf. Why alienate newcomers to our sport?
I love the fact that anyone can compete with one another and I also enjoy the banter of negotiating handicaps before, mid or even trying to do so after rounds :)
I loved this sport 2 days ago, hated it yesterday, and am willing to forgive it today!
UK - GC2 & HMT, SkyTrak and golf simulation reseller.

sfr

Postby sfr » Wed Feb 08, 2017 8:07 pm

v8burble wrote:I loved this sport 2 days ago, hated it yesterday, and am willing to forgive it today!

That sums up golf right there....

I should have said more the ones that don't have a HC and want to use the one they came up with.

Not having a handicap is not the issue. It's that guys who does not know how to calculate a handicap and then tries to tell you he is a 25 HC.

However if you ask him what his HC would be if he shot 10 rounds at 95 and then 10 rounds at 85. Most will say HC would be based on a 90 avg. or 18 instead of 13 or lower like it would be if recorded and adjusted for every round.

I'm more talking about guys who pad their HC in tournaments. Some of those pro Am's you see on TV, like the Pebble Beach one, those guys shoot some major low rounds for what their saying their HC is.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Supster

Postby Supster » Thu Feb 09, 2017 12:04 pm

Simple... there's no other sport where you can drink beer and play at the same time!

jasefarrell74

Postby jasefarrell74 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 6:07 am

Darts and Lawn Bowls are two sports that also allow drinking beer Supster. Although not many people would call either of those a sport, maybe just a game (as with golf), I do not start a round nowadays with at least a couple of stubbies under my belt, irl and sim.

As far as handicaps are concerned I have not had a real one (AGU) in a few years now but I am playing at least as good as I was then, handicap was 4 when I got the shits and broke all my clubs except the driver, 6 iron and vintage ping anser.

I thought that would keep me away for ever but like the drug this game is I found PG and the GC2 and here we are. I honestly hit more golf balls now then I did 20 years ago trying to tackle tour school. There may not be any better feeling in this world than hitting the perfect shot you planned in your mind.

Love the fresh cut grass smell and being on the course when the sun is just showing over the horizon, something about it lets you know you are alive.

Hey Jon, if you ever make it down under sounds like $100 a hole plus presses if you wish. Cheers Jase.

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:10 am

jasefarrell74 wrote:Hey Jon, if you ever make it down under sounds like $100 a hole plus presses if you wish. Cheers Jase.

Hey Jase, I'm working on it for January/February 2018, got the wife convinced!!! 1 down auto presses? LOL!!!
GC2 PDT

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:31 am

100$ a hole? damn... Jon i'd stay away from this unless you don't mind paying lol He sounds pretty confident.

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Sat Feb 11, 2017 10:55 am

We haven't negotiated strokes yet....... :D :D :D :D
GC2 PDT

jasefarrell74

Postby jasefarrell74 » Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:25 pm

Sounds good Jon, looking forward to it. As far as $100 a hole goes I may have added 2 zeroes too many, $1 a hole is more my style and I know Jon only plays off a handful of shots so we should be fairly even in real life. Cheers Jase.

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:35 pm

4 years ago after a session at the gym I felt that it was so boring that I would rather stab my self in the leg then go back again. So I tried a bunch of other sports and finally gave golf a chance. For the first time in a long while there was physical activity that did not feel like a punishment. On the contrary it was fun.

The only problem was that a round or even a range session takes so much time that it's difficult to get the required weekly exersize. That's when the sim room idea came up, and here we are ...
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

psgolfer

Postby psgolfer » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:26 am

jasefarrell74 wrote:Sounds good Jon, looking forward to it. As far as $100 a hole goes I may have added 2 zeroes too many, $1 a hole is more my style and I know Jon only plays off a handful of shots so we should be fairly even in real life. Cheers Jase.

It's all good Jase, I wouldn't play for serious money anyways, the whole part of gambling is your actually just letting the other person hold onto the money for a little while. I've found that when you play against the same people over a period of time, it always comes out a wash.

Also, I'd still ask for 1 a side!!! :shock: :shock:
GC2 PDT

jasefarrell74

Postby jasefarrell74 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 12:36 am

So very true Jon. You can have 1 a side the first round but after that I may be asking for the shots. I will have to try and save some coin for a trip to the Melbourne sandbelt courses, you can't travel all the way here and not play the best we have. Cheers Jase.

Taylor40299

Postby Taylor40299 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:30 am

psgolfer wrote:Addiction.......... Most people don't understand it but honestly golf is like a drug to me. Always chasing that PERFECT HIT!!! Also, for me it's the one place where it's you vs the course. Some days it's good, some days not so good. Plus the smell of fresh cut grass is one of my favourite smells. I could go on and on the list is long, which is why I love to travel and play courses around the world. Also, like Hoganwoods it's my escape too. I honestly just love golf and being on the golf course.

I feel the same as you and Hogan.

Return to “Anything Goes”