putting sensor

Tretee

putting sensor

Postby Tretee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:47 am

Sim putting is a re-occurring topic.
I have been messing about with a solution for the GC2 and finally gave up.
Back to putting from the normal RealFeel swing mat.

Then I cam across Phil Mickelson's short game videos and that got me thinking.
Would be nice to have a separate putting surface with an electronic sensor that can measure the put speed and direction with very high accuracy.
+/- 0.1 deg HLA & +/- 0.001mph. (or better) That would be useful even for real golf putter practice.
On top of that it should interface to the OGT interface so it can be used in the sim.

Not sure I will ever find the time to do it but the idea is "simple" and not very expensive.
Use 3 or 4 laser sensors that are mounted on any type of surface. 1" high & 10" on each side of the target line.

It could have a display to show the result and use Bluetooth to connect to PC's etc. But the simplest way would be to add a USB com port.

Thoughts?
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Zmax

Re: putting sensor

Postby Zmax » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:01 am

It's a good idea. One issue is it can't be above the surface. A worm burner will destroy it.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:
I5 6600k-16 GB-GTX670-Ultra High-Tree 2.05,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1171-Dynamic Skys ON

Sim pc:
I7 4790k-16 GB-GTX1060SC-Ultra High-Tree max,
Shadow 303-Grass 301-View Distance 1200-Dynamic Skys ON

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:40 am

Yeah that makes sense but to get accuracy & keep it simple. That's the idea right now.
The way I would use it is to have a separate putting surface behind the current GC2 swing mat but still along the same target line.
It would be totally different and specifically designed for putting.

In order to achieve accuracy the ball needs to travel at least 20".
The sensor incl putting surface could be 25" long and as narrow as 10".

The other alternative is to build a putting practice area that is not in the path of the normal GC2 shot and make it a bit more advanced incl, sensors and
a slope so the ball comes back.

PS.
The first idea was to make a conventional sensor with the sensing element built in below the mat.
But that will require over head lights (lasers) and is associated with higher cost and all kinds of problems.
The usual "optishot" type sensors are not accurate enough to be used for this.
That is also valid for the GSA style PX5 or proTee shadow sensor setup. They are more accurate but still not good enough.
I know because I built one of those many years ago.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

HoganWoods

Postby HoganWoods » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:50 am

Is there a way to avoid anything being installed on the floor? Maybe a device on the putter face somewhere (obviously not middle) or a camera from the side?

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:58 am

Actually, what could work is something that is similar to the GSA PX5's overhead ball path/putting camera. A line scan camera should be used to detect impact and activate the overhead putting camera. You would need one overhead halogen lamp, but if putting surface is place just a foot or 1.5ft in front of the GC2 hitting mat, you might already have a lamp there. I have two lamps now for illuminating the hitting area.

I used to have a PX5 and the cameras. I still have one of the cameras.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:

Sim pc:

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:47 pm

If we are looking for high accuracy then using 9 axis accelerator and gyros is out if the question.
It's cheap and easy to do but it's not accurate enough.
I guess you have all seen the new Rapsodo sim where you attach the sensor on the club.

If we throw cameras in the mix then yeah all kinds of cool solutions are possible.
I actually have a design that works already. It's a single camera that's mounted over head.
Problem is that it's much more expensive and difficult to install.
The accuracy is similar to the +/-0.1 deg.

What I was looking for here is very accurate and at the same time low cost.
The fact that it's small and portable is a bonus.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Thu Dec 29, 2016 2:04 pm

With all the crap that is going on with Foresight, maybe we need an OGT Launch Monitor with separate putting cameras....:)
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

Office pc:

Sim pc:

RickyG

Postby RickyG » Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:49 am

So Tretee did you give up on the putting sensor there are a lot of trackman and flightscope users on the other forum looking for something to putt with I'm sure if you could set something up that would work with JNPG you would have a lot more players joining and make a few bucks $ if you ever do I'm in for 1 :D

Tretee

Postby Tretee » Thu Jun 15, 2017 8:04 am

Actually I did a quick test that worked fine with the "poor mans HMT" camera that you might have seen but with a different lens and program.
The idea and function is quite simple. The camera is mounted over head.
When you tell it to look for a put it does so over a 1m x 0.5m area on the floor. That "box" could be anywhere on any surface.
Once a put is detected it reports speed and direction. Accuracy on direction is +/- 0.2 degrees worst case.

Problem is that I would need to build something that could be sold as opposed to the prototype I have now.
I am working on it but progress is slow because for me it's more about what I need and not so much about the $ I could make.
Since I use a GC2, putter sensor is not a high priority.
GC2 & Skytrak. EST+6

RickyG

Postby RickyG » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:43 am

sounds good if you ever do keep me posted I gave up on my skytrak because of putting like the idea that you can put from a different spot rather then from the mat you hit off

Return to “Other Simulator Discussions”