Putting

Moderators: JohnMeyer, v8burble

IlliniMD

Putting

Postby IlliniMD » Thu May 03, 2018 8:41 pm

Any advice on the mechanics of putting on a GC2?

I feel like its very difficult to make a judgement on putts outside of, say, 10ft. on a 40 ft putt, i'm just as likely to hit it 30ft or 50ft. as i've tried to play a bit more on the sim, i'm hitting a reasonable number of GIR, but the putting is just killing me. i think last round was 20+ putts in 9 holes. i'm no expert on real course, but usually not anywhere that poor.

JohnMeyer

Re: Putting

Postby JohnMeyer » Fri May 04, 2018 2:21 am

To be honest best advice I can give is head to SOLO Play - Woodys Practice Area in game, (its got a dead flat green), and change game filter to Practice Mode.

You can then move the ball around the green using the Ball icon in the lower left and practice putts over and over.

I attached a chart which shows the MPH speeds youll need to hit on GC2 to go various distances, if thats how you choose to gauge it, but its really just a matter of practice.. hope it helps

puttspeedchart2.jpg
puttspeedchart2.jpg (72.66 KiB) Viewed 198 times
PG Simulator Tour Administrator
PG Simulator Tour Player (GC2)
UK - EST+5

sfr

Postby sfr » Mon May 07, 2018 4:07 pm

I have now found out that the putt speed (MPH) in the sim is going way too far compared to a real life putt once you get past that 12 foot range and gets worse as the putt gets longer. Also after reviewing a study on up and down hill putts, they are off as well and parallel my findings that the ball rolls way too far in the sim than it should. The article stated that an uphill putt of 12" at about 20 feet to the cup and on 12 stimp would be played like adding about 23 feet to the 20 and feel like a 40 plus foot putt. Now what we see in the sim is almost just adding a foot per inch.

So keep in mind it is better to try to putt to a ball speed needed than to try to imagine a real life putt at a set distance.

I am also seeing that the GC2 can show the same putt speed for two different putts but the real ball will roll 6 inches different where as using a stimp meter and keeping the angle 100% the same and rolling balls, they are within a few inches. This shows the tolerance of the GC2 for reading that speed in the first place.
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

Zmax

Postby Zmax » Mon May 07, 2018 7:13 pm

Interesting find SFR. I'm used to PG putting now. Unlike you though, I don't putt by trying to hit a certain MPH speed. I'm not a robot... :lol:

I just try to visualize my ball getting to the hole in my screen, not the distance on my floor. This method works well for me.
GC2 US CST
Site Admin

JNPG Simulator Winter Tour 18 (sim):
http://www.simulation.onlinegolftour.ne ... l?id=10036

OGT Simulator Tour Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/OGTSimulatorTour/

shimonko

Postby shimonko » Mon May 07, 2018 9:21 pm

@SFR, the uphill/downhill bit you mention - Mike from PG mentioned to me that he swears it is not right either (he's a pro golfer) and has talked to Andrew about it, but Andrew hasn't agreed.

On the same putts going 6" different in distance despite the same reading on the GC2, easily possible due to the rounding to nearest integer done on the display. Best to look at the OGT interface here where one decimal place in speed is given. I suspect you did, but mention it as your words suggested differently.

IRL too, repeated balls from a stimpmeter can end up within 8" of each other for the stimp test to be valid - so small variations are ok.

My personal observations - like Zmax, I don't putt to an mph value, or even a distance but look from the side view to judge the distance on the 30+ putts. I typically have very good 30'+ putting stats, much better than 10-30' where I don't look from the side - but sometimes I can't work out how I can do a string of long putts that end up with gimmes, then suddenly shoot one off the green.

sfr

Postby sfr » Tue May 08, 2018 3:29 pm

A little bit more on how I tested.

First when you use a stimp meter you need to raise it up until the ball rolls out of the grove and at that point you need to be as still as you can and not move the stimp as the ball rolls off. I actually found that different balls would effect how the ball rolled off the stimp so the different ball dimples would come out of the grove on the stimp different and create a roll out that may be close to 12" longer roll than others. So I then just used proV1 balls to test so that the results would be more consistent. Also once I had the average of where the balls would roll I then anchored the stimp so that I could test to see how consistent the carpet was with an exact same roll with line and speed and would then just place the ball on the stimp just outside the grove and let several roll off. These were ones that were all within about the 6" area which is very close. This tells me that the carpet will roll true with the same ball speed but still not end up in the exact same spot.

Now when using the GC2 I did have the laptop running with FS1 (forsight software) running so that I could see the exact MPH to the second decimal ball speed. So for example a putt of 5.84 mph rolled on the carpet 16' 6" and another ball putt of 5.85 mph rolled 16' . So this is where the tolerance of the GC2 comes in where ball speed is not 100% exact with its read but again within reason. The carpet seemed to be actually about a 12 stimp when I tested with prov1 balls so then if we used the above chart that John posted, the sim roll for that putt would have been closer to 23 feet or even a bit more and about 40% to 45% too long.

I could test a longer putt but the results show the longer the putt the worse the difference becomes.

Early on when PG first came out and we were testing putting, the longer putts 20 -30 feet did seem real hard to lag in and get to stop inside a 4 foot circle where in real life a person can do this more easily. Also it seemed that in the sim a half mph made a big difference and I always wondered if that was accurate.

This was off a web page that talks about this: http://probablegolfinstruction.com/down ... eronly.htm
For a 20 foot putt, stimp is 12.5, elevation change is 1 foot, I would basically need to add 23 feet to my putt (if uphill), making the total putt length 43 feet.

Now if I have the same 20 foot putt, stimp is 7.5, elevation change is 1 foot, I need to add ONLY 13 feet to my putt (if uphill), making the total putt length only 33 feet.

So it may be possible that our roll out, up and down hill, are close if we played 7 to 8 stimp but I can't test that as I don't have an 8 stimp carpet. All I know is when I do play 8 stimp on the sim, I can add a foot for every inch uphill and it plays very close to that for most putts. This may also be why Andrew may think things are accurate if 8 stimp is accurate but may not know that the faster stimps are, the more they become inaccurate.

It also makes sense then if a 12 stimp putt rolls way too far in the sim that those putts we get in the sim that are 12" uphill on lets say a 20 foot putt, that then we only need to add 12 feet or less to that putt for it to roll accurate in the sim. So this kind of proves that the calculations used are flawed and I would take the word of a pro who knows and had done this. We all know they thought the wind was correct when it first came out as well....
GC2 Simulator Player (Mountain time which is EST -2)

IlliniMD

Postby IlliniMD » Tue May 08, 2018 10:29 pm

Thanks for the advice - glad to hear i'm not the only one with issues.

Return to “JNPG Simulator Tour”