Danger! 1809 has Downloads Folder in Disk Cleanup

Crusher

Danger! 1809 has Downloads Folder in Disk Cleanup

Postby Crusher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:20 am

I posted this as problematic through the Feedback Hub. I would like to suggest that anyone who also uses Downloads Folder give feedback through the built-in Feedback Hub too.

As I stated to the Win Devs, the folder is no different for storage than Documents and Music. It should not exisit in Disk Cleanup by default.

We'll just have to see.

An update on reinstalling 1809. I installed it again yesterday but backed up everything and made an 1803 system image. So far 1809 is working fine and did not delete any user folders content. I repeatedly went to Security and Updates and checked them until everything was up-to-date. I have several 15 year old programs I purchased around 2002-2004 that I really like. They got removed during the update but I was able to reinstall them without a hitch.

There is always an updated page at Microsoft for downloading the newest update. It has now changed to October's 1809.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10

I have posted this in the Technical Forums at other golf sites. Any possibility of creating a Technical Forum then moving this to that forum?

Thanks,

Crusher

sliceapotomu

Re: Danger! 1809 has Downloads Folder in Disk Cleanup

Postby sliceapotomu » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:17 pm

I actually like the fact that this folder is cleaned out..... I've always had the mindset that download folder was temporary any ways. After downloading something I almost always move it to where I want it any how. There is a box there for you to check/uncheck if you would like to keep the junk piling up.. to each his own...

Crusher

Re: Danger! 1809 has Downloads Folder in Disk Cleanup

Postby Crusher » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:32 pm

sliceapotomu wrote:I actually like the fact that this folder is cleaned out..... I've always had the mindset that download folder was temporary any ways. After downloading something I almost always move it to where I want it any how. There is a box there for you to check/uncheck if you would like to keep the junk piling up.. to each his own...

I have always used it as a storage folder, super organized. I consider it a home for purchased software, freeware, Windows Utilities etc.

I hope for the sake of the average computer user that an option is given to hide the check box. These same people do not move their downloaded files to the proper storage folders. Not their fault, just no interest in learning about Windows.

We PC enthusiasts have explored every inch of Windows over the years. The bulk of users consider a computer like a TV. Just power it on and push buttons on the remote. :D

Return to “Off Topic”